If the title of this blog post makes sense to you – you are showing your age 😉
Yesterday I had my first “lesson” in how to ride a bike while having your feet firmly attached to the pedals (and I do mean firmly – the first time you clip in you realise just how firmly!).
It works like this ..
- Clip one foot into pedal – put that pedal at approx 2 oclock.
- Push down on that pedal to gain forward momentum
- Pedal as you would if using flat pedals but put the unclipped foot on top of other pedal until you can clip in safely.
- Ride bike
- Unclip foot and stop.
I did fantastic UNTIL step five. My stop looked like this ..
The only differences were that
- I’m not a white middle aged woman
- I was not wearing that ensemble – green is not my color
- I was on grass – thank GOODNESS!
But you get the general idea. It took me a good 30 minutes or so riding around in circles on the soft squishy knee saving grass before I got up the confidence to hit some hard stuff. But I did it and you know what? I’m quite proud of me! Now onto learning how to go round corners 😉
Like the mainland cheese old dudes say .. good things take time.
Last night I got my program for the week from Coach Annette – this morning? 10k time trial .. de ja vu anyone? 😉
It had to be a different course than Sunday because its a weekday and I need to run near work. So I ran from work down past the viaduct and along the old tank farm area and back again. My legs were sore from the weekend and I felt “heavy” but I actually did the run about 10 seconds faster – I guess that is what a flat course will do for you.
Thankfully no more running till the weekend when on the agenda is a practice triathlon .. could be interesting. Hmmm I wonder if James will come and cheer for me .. 😉
Till next time